Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:06:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel K Fry <daniel.fry@unh.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   slip or ppp

hi

i am trying to connect my freebsd machine to the internet via my hardwired
connection here at school. we are going to have ethernet in our rooms
next year, but for now the connection hooks to the serial port. i just use
trumpet winsock with my win95 machine.

 so, i was figuring i would have to use slattach

is this the right tool to use? keep in mind that i dont have to use a
modem.

i tried setting it up according to the SLIP instructions in the
handbook and then skipped the part about dialing and just ran slattach

slattach -h -c -s 19200 /dev/cuaa0

i get SIGHUP on /dev/cuaa0 (s1-1); exiting

so do i need to use a different device name?

please help

-daniel fry
university of new hampshire