Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 03:54:03 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>, "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

I hope that you fix the one where the Cisco NAT doesen't tear down the
address map as soon as the connection is closed.  I saw that one on a 1005
running early 12.0 code when someone asked us why they could Telnet into a
JetDirect card from the Internet that in reality had a private network number.
Turned out they were telnetting into the overload number on a nat pool on the
1005.  I never did get around to writing that one up because I figured it was
an
obvious hole that would be caught, but if your interested I'll dig up the
particulars.

  Offloading NAT from a
>router with a small amount of RAM will improve packet flow to be sure.  In
>fact, if you're experiencing lock-ups, I'd try that.  It may help you
>isolate the problem.  FreeBSD's NAT is pretty good for most standard
>protocols.  I've found it's relatively easy to add support to.

But it doesen't so the DNS trick that you guys do which is very useful. :-(

>Also, if you do find yourself having to reload, see if you're getting any
>tracebacks.  Do a show ver or show stack, and see what you can see.  Those
>memory addresses can be useful for tracking down bugs.

He was saying that when the router got hosed that they had to power-cycle
which I take it to mean the device froze.  It sounds suspiciously like flakey
hardware to me.  Maybe someone upgraded the ram with some random PC memory
they had lying around?