Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:46:49 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd: requiring password _and_ RSA authentication

At 2001-10-03 18:09:06+0000, Zvezdan Petkovic writes:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:43:39PM +0100, Nick Barnes wrote:
> > One of our servers used to run FreeBSD 2.2.8 with SSH 2 built from
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh2.  I'm not sure exactly which version of SSH
> > this was.  We had sshd configured to require both a password and RSA
> > (or maybe DSA) authentication.
> >

> I'm not sure that it checked both. I think that the first authentication
> method that succeeds lets you through. You probably had password set up
> as the first method to try.

No, it definitely did check both.  I recall testing it.  I think it
was SSH, rather than OpenSSH.  This man page suggests that I was using
the RequiredAuthentications configuration option:
<http://www.ssh.com/support/ssh/man/sshd2_config-man.html>;

> Only if you set up RSA keys _without_ a passphrase. I never do that.

Thanks; I'll make sure our users are using passphrases.  This seems
like a good solution.

Nick B