Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 16:22:50 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Alain Brauner <bsdinfo@freegate.gna.org>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tips and tricks

The DEVFS in 2.2.x is similar to that in 3.0
however there are a few points..

The interface between the current disk slicing code and DEVFS
is rather strained. For this reason, devfs has trouble  in 2.2
being used at boot time as /dev.

This can be fixed, but the changes going into -current to do so
are to far-reaching to be thinkable in -stable. These are in
-current under the option SLICE.

having said that, devfs could be used as /dev on a system using a
mfs root without too much difficulty.
the problem would be that you would have ot touch each raw drive
before all the subslices turned up.  I have hear of people using it
under -stable with NFS mounted systems.