Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:59:41 -0500
From:      "A. Wright" <wright.546@osu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 802.11 "monitor mode" issues

I just installed 5.2-Release to be sure it wasn't something I didn't
understand in -current.  I insert the card and then run these commands.
Here's what I got.

# uname -a
FreeBSD LAPTOP.domain.com 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11
04:21:45 GMT 2004     root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386
# ifconfig wi0
wi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:04:e2:1e:0c:de
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (none)
        ssid ""
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
# ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt monitor
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (mediaopt): Device not configured
# ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid my_ap media
DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (mediaopt): Device not configured

That last command is directly from the man page for wi(4) for 5.2-Release.
Do I have to add anything to the kernel?  I certainly don't rule out that
it's something that I'm doing wrong.  So if anyone can point out to me how
to fix this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
Aaron