Date:      Mon, 27 May 96 22:43:12 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
Subject:   What to include in hardware compatibility list?

I would like to get some suggestions on what we should include in a
hardware compatibility list for the handbook. After some emails with
John Fieber I reached the conclusion that there are many ways that such
list could be compiled.

One possible approach is to simply have a list of hardware that works
with FreeBSD without any special installation procedures. This does not
mean that later on we could include other hardware. The possible
advantages of this method is that we won't need
to ask to many questions to the people filling the forms and that we
could get a list
compiled sooner.

Another approach is to try to have a more comprehensive questionaire
with a few
more questions and perhaps have a "note" section for hardware pieces
that work with FreeBSD, but that need some changes to the standard
installation. With this approach we could also ask what is  computer
used for such as FTP or WWW server and how many clients are supported
by it. The possible advantages of this method are that we could have
more complete/usefull information and only need to ask users once to
fill out forms about their hardware configuration.

Some pieces of information that I consider could be asked are:

-Computer:make,model,cpu,cpu speed, amount of RAM
-Video:make,model,bus type,resolution
-Harddrive:make,model,HD type
-Soundcard:make,model,options
-Cdrom:make,model,bus type
-Monitor:make,model,size,resolution
-Network card:make,model,network protocol
-Use of computers and how many clients are supported