Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:12:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        garycorc@mail.idt.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Posting to multiple lists

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	sendmail expands the mail aliases, such as freebsd-hackers and
> 	freebsd-questions, not majordomo.  by the time the "message"
> 	reaches majordomo (actually the resend perl program of majordomo)
> 	it is already 2 or more separate, distinct messages.

John, would it be possible to ask sendmail to reject any message (with
some kindly worded reminder) that is addressed to multiple majordomo
targets?  Simply reject it out of hand, so if multiple copies get to
freebsd.org (with loaded cc lists) majordomo wouldn't have to handle it?

If something like that had existed, I would have been stopped from
replying to the multiple post (which I admit, I didn't actually even
notice the cc list).

> 	one might do this by having resend note the Message-id: header
> 	in a random access data structure stored on disk.  entries
> 	would be purged after 24 hours, for example.  or one could
> 	configure a Message-id: server process that each invokation
> 	of resend could query.  the resultwould determine whether or
> 	not the message was killed.
>
> 	the correct solution is not a technical one but rather a
> 	human one.  trim the cc: list.  the original sender may well
> 	be in the dark as to which list to send his question to.
> 	the responders should be better informed and trim the cc:
> 	list accordingly.  (this is my opinion, for what it is worth)

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |