Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:02:00 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   //lib/libm.so.5: could not read symbols: Bad value and /usr/bin/ld: : invalid DSO for symbol `sin@@FBSD_1.0' definition

For 10.1-??? I've been getting:

/usr/bin/ld: : invalid DSO for symbol `sin@@FBSD_1.0' definition
//lib/libm.so.5: could not read symbols: Bad value
*** [fractals] Error code 1

make[6]: stopped in =
/usr/obj/portswork/usr/ports/graphics/freeglut/work/freeglut-2.8.1/progs/d=
emos/Fractals

when I attempt to portmaster xscreensaver. (The rest of the ports I try =
to build work fine, including all their dependencies. If xscreensaver =
finished it would be about 409 ports involved in all.)

I now note it to the list because I've now tried on on powerpc/GENERIC =
and powerpc64/GENERIC64 with and without /etc/make.conf having:

WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D
WITHOUT_CLANG=3D
WITH_DEBUG=3D

[WRKDIRPREFIX=3D(path not listed here) always present]

when I buildworld kernel and use portmaster for the ports.

It appears that no matter what style of build on a PowerMac under either =
powerpc/GENERIC or powerpc64/GENERIC64 /lib/libm.so.5 ends up with this =
problem (or the ld checks for invalid DSO's end up wrong  --or both).

I first noticed this with 10.1-PRERELEASE

FreeBSD FBSDG4S0 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271215: Sat =
Sep  6 23:56:15 PDT 2014     root@FBSDG4S0:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  =
powerpc

I can not claim just what was the last prior working case I had with =
10.0-STABLE but all those were "as distributed" installs instead of =
personal "buildworld kernel" based on a source updates. For 10.1-??? =
I've been experimenting with source based tracking/building, mostly =
building on Quad-core PowerMac G5s (booted with either GENERIC based or =
GENERIC64 based worlds/kernels, up to DDB/GDB being added or not). Here =
GENERIC and GENERIC64 were not updated at all.

It has continued with the likes of

FreeBSD FBSDG4S1 10.1-BETA1 FreeBSD 10.1-BETA1 #1 r271610M: Wed Sep 17 =
21:47:20 PDT 2014     root@FBSDG4S1:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  =
powerpc

and its GENERIC64 variant. (M in r271610M because of DDB and GDB options =
added to GENERIC and GENERIC64.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net