Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:42:12 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum + new disk for mirror

We have a machine with a vinum mirror, all the partitions except
the root partition mirrored between two disks. The second
disk has died and I want to replace it. I can't find a disk exactly
the same, so I have a disk that's bigger (80GB, old one was 60GB).

Can I...

   - shutdown, replace the bad disk with the bigger new disk
   - boot single user, mount /
   - copy the good disk to the new disk with:
      dd bs=128k if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2
   - vinum start
   - restart any stale subdisks (?)
   - ...