Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:18:04 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> > > Yeah, same with ijppp, but it means you can only use those packages to
> > > do a connection, ie its not very general...
> >
> > I don't understand.  Which packets do you want to use?  If they're not
> > destined for that interface, they shouldn't cause a dialup.
> >
> > > (So its too bad if you have dialon demand ISDN :)
> >
> > I don't understand this statement, either.
>
> I think what he's saying is that it would be nice to divorce the
> "dial-on-demand" functionality from the thing that is actually
> doing the dialing... you could do this with divert sockets, but
> it would require some sort of "api" to the PPP process not only
> to tell it to connect (eg, send SIGUSR1), but also to be able to
> determine whether the link is already up (to avoid a flood of
> such signals).

The "ask it to dial" bit is functional now (as of a few minutes ago)
with the following:

  pppctl -v -t 120 -p xxx 3000 dial

The "is the line up" bit has been there for some time:

  pppctl -v -p xxx 3000 show log | grep ^PPP >/dev/null && echo UP

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;