Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2018 23:12:00 +0100
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        guru@unixarea.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r342378 fails sometimes on boot mounting root (error 2)

On 28.12.18 19:45, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día viernes, diciembre 28, 2018 a las 09:07:49a. m. -0700, Ian Lepore escribió:
>
>> Try setting vfs.mountroot.timeout= in loader.conf to a value long
>> enough to let the usb drive get probed reliably. The default is 3
>> seconds, maybe a value like 5 or 10 would work better for you.
>>
>> -- Ian
>
> Thanks. I did so, but this does not help. When I does not work even
> after 20 secs it fails to mount. After a lot of boot attempts I have the
> following picture:
>
> 1. It always mounts fine when verbose message is selected.
>
> 2. It mounts fine when the line below about 'umass0:1:0: Attached to ... ' is
>     printed, if it is not, the mount fails later after 20 secs waiting;

Hm, here on my rpi3b+, with an attached usb disk I have to use this
setting in loader.conf:

kern.cam.boot_delay="15000"

With the vfs.mountroot.timeout="xx" I end up in a shell because I'm not
able to mount the partition in time. With the cam.boot_delay things are
working fine.

Maybe this helps?

Andreas