Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 1995 12:01:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, timb@thud.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: PRoblem's detecting modem

>I am having problem's with freebsd detecting my internal modem's again.
>I am running the latest snap and it wont detect my zoom modem..
>Detect's my other reveal brand fine..
>Also i seem to remmeber the 2.0.5 release detected it..

Nothing in this area has changed for several months.

>One other thing that hasnt seem to gone away..
>IT's pretty annoying to..
>Proccesses that dont die..
>BAsicly my modem or something might hang using a device and i can't
>free up the device it was using ..Can't kill the program that
>was using the device either..

Processes hang closing ttys if there is output to drain and crtscts is
set and CTS has gone away.  They can be unwedged after 1 second using
`comcontrol /dev/ttydN drainwait 1'.  1 second is too small for general
use.  /etc/rc.serial suggest using 180 seconds.  `stty -crtscts </dev/ttydN'
should work but is currently broken.

Bruce