Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:46:39 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        "Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan@dmpnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it difficult to move from Linux?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:03:44AM +0100, Donovan R. Palmer wrote:

> Friends... thank you for all of your responses. Last night I read a big
> chunk of the handbook and read articles such as
> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php  Very
> helpful. I was impressed with the quality of the documentation and I like
> the disciplined approach to FreeBSD.
>
> The more I read, the more I was convinced that FreeBSD was what I was
> looking for and would satisfy some of my needs/disillusionment with Linux.
> I look forward to putting it on a box and starting the learn the
> differences. Many thanks again!

I think you are right.

A couple of thing I forgot to mention.

First, the default shell in FreeBSD is tcsh.
I like it for most things and find myself grinding my teeth at bash,
but you can easily change the shell to suit you.   If it is bash, then
you need to install it from ports and enter it in /etc/shells  and
then change your /etc/passwd entry using vipw(8).

The other one that can make things easier is that the directory
and file layout is described in a man page.   man hier  will get it
for you and can be very valuable in getting used to FreeBSD.

Note that all the directories listed in hier from / down to /stand  need
to be in the root file system for things to work, especially at boot
time and in single user mode.

////jerry