Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
To:        Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Jerry Hicks wrote:

> > 	Whats the big deal about cramming this onto a single floppy...
> > Wouldn't a real embedded FreeBSD application use a small flash drive? The
> > smallest chips that we use now are 4 M Bytes and about $12.00, cheaper
> > than a floppy drive!
>
> Good Point!
>
> Of course, flash drives are hardly ubiquitous just now.  Older PC's with
> floppy drive are abundantly available to the average user.

	Of course our interest is more for embedded systems than people
with a spare PC...

> And I think you meant 4 Mbit are the smallest devices you are using (providing
> only 524288 bytes of raw capacity).  Twelve dollars is the amount for flash
> chips, not a usable 'flash drive'.

	No, $12.00 is for 4M bytes (32 Mbit chip - TC58V32 same as
SmartMedia in different package) -- added circuitry for a flash drive is
less than $1.00 for a software FFS flash drive and about $11.00 for an
hardware IDE compatible flash drive.

> Those are still more expensive than a floppy drive.

	Not for an OEM, but whats really missing for minimum cost is an
unencumbered FFS for XXXBSD, Linux etc.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics