Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:13:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

In article <local.mail.freebsd-chat/19990315050302$d416@fish.pcs> you write:
>Great! What is the current state of lock pushdown in the FreeBSD
>kernel? Have the interrupt handling problems been nuked?

The lock pushdown doesn't extend to all subsystems, so certain sections
of the kernel are sill serialized, as far as I can tell.

On a tangent, this week there is a web proxy bakeoff that is intended
to compare performance of high-end web proxies.  Of possible interest
to this list is that the entire testbed is based on 2.2.7 machines.
See http://www.ircache.net, or http//bakeoff.ircache.net/doc/logistics.html

Also, at least one of the entries (which I hope will win) is based on
a modified 3.1 kernel.  Unfortunatly, it's still running a UP kernel
since the SMP kernel with this application gives a net loss in performance.

Also, in this particular environment, Linux is simply not able to
deliver the performance required.  Neither is Digital Unix, running
on an AlphaServer; it seems they have some, umm, interesting bugs in
their TCP/IP stack.
--
Jonathan