Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sonja Jo Krenz-Bush <begonia@itchy.serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help!  system crashing 2-4 times a day with vinvalbuf - flush failed

Our server, which had been running fine for the last 7 months started
crashing 2-4 times a day this week.  Today, I finally managed to see the
error message echoed to the console (or part of it).

It said:

vinvalbuf - flush failed

We're running FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE.  This system serves as web server and
shell access server.  Usually around 6-10 people logged on, most of them
reading mail and/or news.

Things I have noticed - we've had some unkillable processes that were
mail related - ie, /usr/bin/mail, pine, RMAIL, etc...   Crashes seem to
happen when something like this is going on.  In the past, this had
happened occascionally but never crashed the system.

Things that have changed: our /usr/spool/mail is NFS mounted from the mail
server.  Earlier this week, the drive on the mail server started giving us
problems so we replaced it.  The mail server itself isn't having any
problems since we replaced the disk and is running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.

Is this something that is fixed in 2.1.5R?  Let me know if I need to give
additional information - I'm not the person who primarily does this but
wanted to get started on figuring this out right away.

Thanks.

	    Sonja Jo Krenz-Bush  ServNet/Abstract Software
	 sjkb@abstractsoft.com   http://www.serv.net/~begonia
	 ``Just another one of the flock following the herd.''