Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 01:23:31 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        eivind@freebsd.org, bde@zeta.org.au, brian@utell.co.uk
Subject:   Include files (in ppp)

Sorry to approach things like this, but I'm too green to argue.  I
think a vote would be more in order.

In one corner, we have the argument that (iij)ppp has got so many
#ifs #buts and #thens, that the additional osreldate.h dependency
doesn't make things any worse.  It has ifs for bsdi, NetBSD and
even FreeBSD, not to mention _BSDI_VERSION and BSD...  The advantage
of the __FreeBSD_version inclusion is that the -current version
compiles on 2.1.*

In the other corner, we have the argument that as ppp is part of the
system, it shouldn't have all this stuff in there.  osreldate et. al.
is for ports, not the system itself.

I'd suggest one of the following:

- Leave it as it is (with osreldate.h adding partially to the chaos)
- Remove all of the #ifs buts and whys (rationalle: If osreldate isn't
  in there, All the #if BSD etc stuff is useless anyway)

I'm going to (hide in) Munich for the weekend, I'll be back Tuesday
and will go with whatever's decided.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org/>;