Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Trent Nelson <nelsont@wa.switch.aust.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Paper detailing blocking heuristics based on Scheduler Activiations.

:Going direct worked for me:
:
:fetch ftp://ftp.cs.rochester.edu/pub/papers/systems/93.PPoPP.Using_scheduler_information_barrier_synchr_performance.ps.Z
:
:Thanks..

    Ok, I printed out and read this paper.  I think there are some serious
    flaws in the paper.  The assumptions being made are so specialized
    (such as assuming that the 'work' section for each thread between
    barrier points is about the same length), that I don't think the results
    can be applied generally.  Also, the test programs appear to be very
    simple and thus probably fairly small - which means that there are
    major assumptions being made in regards to cache effects when spinning
    verses blocking.  It seems to devolve down into essentially
    non-preemptive cooperative scheduling, and I think the last two graphs
    pretty much prove that.

						-Matt