Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:52:51 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, semenu@FreeBSD.ORG, tegge@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: nullfs, vm_objects and locks... (patch)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     I agree with all of Boris's points in regards to the two major changes:
>     Adding VOP's to access the VM object, and integrating the vnode lock
>     into the vnode directly.
>
>     There is one issue which needs to be resolved, and that is with NFS.  It
>     is not safe to lock vnodes related to NFS, which is why the NFS VOP locking
>     routines always force shared locks.  This problem would have to be
>     resolved.

	I think that vop_sharedlock() is compatible with proposed changes
and only nfs_lookup() needs to be tweaked in order to maintain PDIRUNLOCK
flag. Nevertheless, I'll test nfs case this weekend.

>     Boris's patches look good, though I didn't go over them with a fine-toothed
>     comb.  I'm amazed at how clean the nullfs changes are with the new
>     infrastructure there to support it.

	I'm would very appreciate if someone who familiar with BIO/VM
layer review all VOP_GETVOBJECT() invocations in the vfs_bio/vm_mmap
code.

>     This patch involves architectural changes so I think either DG or Kirk
>     have to sign off on it (maybe more Kirk then DG for this since it is
>     filesystem related).  I think Kirk will agree with it assuming the NFS
>     issue can be dealt with.

	Ok, I'll forward them a copy of original message.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/