Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:48:33 +0100
From:      Vassili Tchersky <vt@nmp.bsdjeunz.org>
To:        will@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22985: NEW PORT : 6tunnel (2)

Le Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 02:16:55AM -0800, will@FreeBSD.org a écrit:
> Synopsis: NEW PORT : 6tunnel (2)

> What purpose does this program serve that you can't use with the
> base KAME tools in 4.x?  I've never had trouble tunnelling IPv6
> over IPv4 via gifconfig.

This program simply does TCP over IPv4 to TCP over IPv6 translating
( proxying in that case ). For example, if you want to use a IPv6
only irc server with xchat which doesn't support IPv6 natively, you may use
6tunnel like this : 6tunnel 6667 <someirc6serverhere>, and then, in
xchat: /server localhost. By the way you may also see IPv6 only WWW
site with Netscape.

--
Vassili Tchersky (lbg@IRC) <vt@bsdjeunz.org>