Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:24:04 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:33:09AM +0200, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> 	I agree with G. Adam's cautiousness -- when I first moved
> 	to the US in 1983, the teacher (this was 4th grade :-) introduced
> 	me to the class, and asked if anybody wanted to point out
> 	France (where I'm from) on the globe.
>
> 	A kid volunteered, and put his finger on Russia.

Five years ago I moved to Rhinelander, a small town in Northern Wisconsin.
Several months later, as I walked into the local bookstore, I was immmediately
approached by the people who worked there.

They told me to expect a phone call from a local high school teacher. She
was about to take a trip to Siberia. The bookstore people told her I was
from Slovakia, so I should know all about Siberian customs, as Slovakia is
very close to Siberia.

One of the things the particular bookstore sells in abundance is the globe.
I took one of the globes and placed it on the counter. I asked them to find
Rhinelander on it, which they did even though its name was not printed on
the globe.

I asked them to find Siberia, which they could not. Same with Slovakia. So,
I showed them: "Here is Slovakia, here is Siberia, here is Rhinelander. Since
Rhinelander is much closer to Siberia than Slovakia will ever be, why don't
*you* tell her all about Siberian customs."

They were rather embarassed, and quite apologetic. :-)

Adam