Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:57:23 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   File system issues

Two or 3 days ago, after an update to stable/10 my UFS file system
started acting weird. I have freezes and files disappearing from the
system.

The first time that happened SU+J failed me. I.e. I went into single
user mode and on the second fsck run it would still find errors that
weren't successfully corrected due to the journal. That was the first
time with the Samsung 840 PRO SSD.

I rebuilt kernel/world, turned off journaling and rebooted, but the
problems persisted. Yesterday I updated again:
FreeBSD AprilRyan.norad 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r273588: Fri Oct 24 17:18:14 CEST 2014     root@AprilRyan.norad:/usr/obj/S403/amd64/usr/src/sys/S403  amd64

Today I suddenly couldn't use sysctl any more. It turned out /sbin was
suddenly empty. A couple of minutes later the system froze. After the
hard reset it came up like this (shortened to relevant bits):
http://pastebin.com/kXLtg3JR

As you can see I'm using geli for everything but /boot. After a hard
reset I usually go into single user mode and run fsck twice (ever since
I had some really bad experiences).

It doesn't come up clean, but what turns up in lost+found are just
files from the browser cache and /sbin is back.

What terrifies me (apart from disappearing files) is what happens
after the system goes through a suspend and resume cycle, starting
at line 258 in the pastebin. The harddisk comes back up with new
errors!

I cannot pin down which version was the one last working for me, but
it's uname already said something about 10.1-PRERELEASE.