Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2015 18:40:48 +0200
From:      Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com>, "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Interest in support for Mediatek/Ralink SoCs?

Now this is something I was hoping for :-)

I=E2=80=99ll tidy things up next week and I=E2=80=99ll send the initial =
dirty patches over to you only (for now) if it=E2=80=99s ok with you?
I=E2=80=99ve hacked on top of the rt305x support that=E2=80=99s in the =
tree for now, but in a mt762x directory and there are still a lot of =
leftovers from rt305x, but at least the thing boots and goes multiuser =
albeit on a single core right now :-)

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best wishes,
Stanislav

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 18:36, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> hi,
>=20
> holy hell yes.
>=20
> Can you please put all of your patches up online? I acquired some
> MT7621 hardware to do a port, and I see you've beaten me to it. I'd
> like to get it up and working so I can work on the 11ac wifi support.
>=20
> (I don't mind how dirty or what you think the work is - it's going to
> be great, and I'll tidy it up and get it into -HEAD.)
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
>=20
> -a
>=20
>=20
> On 11 December 2015 at 08:06, Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> On Dec 11, 2015, at 10:25, Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi all,
>>>=20
>>> Is there any interest on bringing support for Ralink/Mediatek more =
up-to-date SoCs, such as MT7620, MT7628, MT7688 and, notably, MT7621 to =
FreeBSD?
>>>=20
>>> The first three are pretty standard in terms of CPU - they=E2=80=99re =
all MIPS 24Kc based, so they should =E2=80=98just work=E2=80=99 as far =
as booting FreeBSD goes.
>>> The last one and, in my opinion, the most interesting one, the =
MT7621 is a MIPS 1004Kc - dual core with dual hardware threads per core. =
It also introduces new (to FreeBSD/mips) concepts such as the global =
interrupt controller (gic) for example and could be interesting from =
this perspective as well as it could pave the way for MIPS 1074K support =
as well.
>>>=20
>>> I am currently able to boot MT7621 single core to multi user. I can =
start the rest of the cores and threads as well, but am still having =
difficulties figuring out the proper cache and TLB management so it =
basically doesn=E2=80=99t support SMP at the moment.
>>>=20
>>> I have also done some work on PCI support for the MT7621 and am =
currently using userland on a SATA drive, connected to an ASMedia 1061 =
on the PCI bus, which seems to be quite stable as well, although the =
code is nowhere near ready to show to other people :-)
>>>=20
>>> The support for all the peripherals, however, is not something I =
would be able to take on all by myself, due to lack of spare time.
>>> There is some support in the tree for older Ralink systems (in =
sys/mips/rt305x and in sys/dev/rt for the ethernet/switch peripheral), =
but it needs work.
>>> Also, the WiFi drivers do not seem to support the chipsets embedded =
in or used with MT76xx, so this will be a major challenge it seems, =
especially given the lack of documentation=E2=80=A6 however, a piece of =
good news is that OpenWRT supports most/all of these chipsets, so at =
least we would have a frame of reference=E2=80=A6
>>>=20
>>> So, anyone else interested in working on MT76xx support?
>>>=20
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Stanislav
>>=20
>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> I can put a single core kernel (uImage) somewhere (where?) so you =
guys can download it and see if it starts up on your boards=E2=80=A6
>> It won=E2=80=99t do too much at the moment, unless you have a SATA =
disk with root filesystem (UFS) attached on an ASMedia 1061 on PCIe. :-)
>>=20
>> Also, for the guys that mentioned they had MT7621 based boards: how =
much RAM do you guys have on your boards? I have 512MB on mine, but =
I=E2=80=99ve currently hard-coded the kernel to use 256MB.