Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:46:46 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb@struchtrup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 12:25:22AM +0200, Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>
> >OPTIONS isn't the answer -- they don't do anything for 'pkg_add -r'
> >users.
> >
> That's a problem. I agree.
> But what about ports having 10 different options?
> Probably it would make sense to build the most common configurations in
> such a case.
> On the other hand, the user must know which package to add for a given
> port with a given config.
> I am not familiar with packages and package building in detail.

You only have to be as famiar with pre-built package flavors as you are
with build OPTIONS.  How do you know which compile options you want?  For
which package flavor to install, you can use 'sysinstall' which will
show you both the 1-line desciption along with the longer one to help you
in your choices.

> >Since we go to a *lot* of work building packages and making them
> >available there must be a huge number of consumers of them.  We should be
> >making more port variations.  vim-gtk, vim-kde, vim-athena, vim-motif for
> >instance.  That way a pkg_add user and get what they want.
> >
> I assume that this is currently done by hand? To say build the vim port
> with options --with-gtk, --with-kde and --with_arena?
> Or is there a way to set this in a Makefile? Not only altering the
> package name from vim to vim-xxx, but to define configurations for
> automatic package building?

Currently one defines WITH_* knobs and then compiles.  One of the WITH_
knobs is the default GUI build.  For non-X11 GUI there is the 'vim-lite'
port.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)