Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:33:31 -0500
From:      Chen Zhao <zhaoc@cloud9.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

\- Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> stated on
/-	[Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:02:22PM -0800]:

> NDA's in this particular space serve a limited set of purposes:
>
>  - They constitute engineering damage control; witness Realtek's
>    unhappiness at Bill's honest commentary on their documented parts.

\_____End_of_Statement_____/

I have a quick question (this was asked before, but I haven't seen
a real answer to it..) for Mr. Paul and other driver authors.

Given the NDA situation with Intel, et al., and the possibility that
support for the fxp driver may wane a bit, the necessity for future
planning prompts me to ask:

What is the next most (unofficially of course :) recommended NIC
in terms of driver stability, card reliability and performance,
and driver efficiency (low overhead, etc.), ignoring for the moment
actual NIC price, and just judging from a technical perspective?

For instance, the fxp driver has been touted (I've seen this
somewhere) as being extremely efficient (the hardware itself also
being very high performance), and stable (b/c Mr. Greenman was able
to obtain some documents w/o the NDA).  The linux analogue of the
xl is their driver and NIC of choice.

Would the xl be next on the list, or would it be one of the previously
mentioned D-Link/Netgear cards for which documentation is freely
available?  I've always thought that the latter brands were lower
performance cards...

Thanks for the insights, and (I don't think this ever gets said
enough), thanks for a superb OS.

Oh, is there also a recommended gigabit adapter?  Tigon?  Intel?