Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 17:48:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> Thank you all for your help.  A summary:
>
> 8. To remove unneeded "source ports", use "portmaster -l" or "pkg auto
> remove" (even though this is described in section 5.4 of the handbook
> "Using pkg for Binary Package Management").  Do not use pkg_cutleaves.

Actually, pkg_cutleaves is a port and should be okay to use.  The name
is due to it trying to look like the old pkg_* system programs.
Probably we should say "do not use /usr/sbin/pkg_*".

> 9. Do not use cvs or pkg_ or pkgng

The last one is pkg, but as far as names go, pretty much.

> 10. If you are ever asked "to switch to the new pkg(8) format" say
> YES, even if you are using source ports.

Thank you. :)  Switching is a one-time thing, too.

> 11. If you are feeling frisky, upgrade your source ports with
> portupgrade instead of portmaster

portupgrade works okay, unless Ruby or ruby-bdb are upgraded, and then
it trips over its own feet.  portmaster is just sh, and does not have
that problem.  ("Frisky as a squid on Tuesday")