Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:26:38 +0200
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>, "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sv: Unregistered domain name for LAN?

----- Oprindelig meddelelse -----
Fra: Cambria, Mike <mcambria@lucent.com>
Til: 'isp@freebsd.org' <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sendt: 9. juni 1999 17:16
Emne: Unregistered domain name for LAN?

> Hi,
>
> Do any cheat sheets, HOW-TO's, tutorials etc. exist on setting up
> _unregistered_ domain name for a FreeBSD based network?
>
> I access the Internet via my cable modem connected to FreeBSD 3.1 using
DHCP
> client.  This system runs ipfw & natd to allow other systems on the LAN as
> well as dial-in pppd to get to the network.  My network uses unregistered
IP
> addresses internally.
>
> I want to be able to start using names internally as well.  I do not want
> register a domain name.  (I've considered it but 1) I don't believe my
cable
> monopoly will let me do this, 2) Regardless, I don't want to wait until
the
> registration completes to start setting this up.)
>
> Setting up a primary DNS server for my domain (referring all other domains
> to the ISP name server) seems straight forward.  However, I'm sure there
are
> things I need to watch out for, consider etc. that I am not aware of.

As far as I am aware of you don't need to care if your internal domain is
registered or not; even if it were registered, the adresses inside is of no
use to the outside.

So just put up your internal nameserver as usual...

Just remember to masquerade your mail, so your adresses are deliverable.

Even if you get a registered domain, what the outside need to know is not
the same as what the inside need to know, so you need two nameservers, one
(actually two) for the outside, and one for the inside.

Leif