Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:12:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        nisha@cs.berkeley.edu, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote...
>  * From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
>
> Oops, I should have read the manpage more carefully.  But still...
>
>  * >   camcontrol modepage -e -m 8 /dev/pass0
>
>  * Otherwise, camcontrol will probably reject /dev/pass0 as garbage and
>  * default to editing mode page 8 on da0.
>
> Shouldn't it exit with an error instead of just silently ignoring it?

That's harder than it sounds, due to the way arguments are parsed in
camcontrol.  In any case, assuming standard getopt behavior, why should
camcontrol even detect the argument at the end?  Once getopt sees something
that doesn't start with a '-' and isn't an expected argument, it stops
parsing arguments.  I doubt most programs continue going down the command
line to check for extraneous garbage arguments.

The right solution is probably to elimniate da0 as the default device, and
require the user to specify a device to act on.  I've been planning on
doing that for a while, but only in -current.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com