Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:59:30 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Emiel van de Laar <emiel@rednode.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network lossage, was: Re: (forw) [emiel@rednode.nl: lighttpd port (1.4.10) + LDAP (FreeBSD 5.3)]

Emiel van de Laar wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> scholz.net seems to be down so the following mail to the lighttpd
> maintainer bounced. I'm dropping it here to see if it gets picked
> up.

For what it's worth, I'm down and so are a bunch of people in the NYC region,
there was a fibre break with Cogent which has taken down my upstream ISP entirely.

As far as I can tell, our ISP is basicly dead, including not just our VoIP
phones, but theirs, too.  They haven't explained to me why they haven't routed
around the broken link using other peers, even if that means going slower.  I
don't care whether they have to route my netblock via 56K dialup, but get on it.

[ It was supposed to be fixed within two hours of the initial problem, but that
was 5 hours ago, so something else is clearly going wrong.  And no, we're not
colocated; we've got a couple of racks of machines in a room
in our office, in glorious midtown New York City.  :-) / 2 ]

And why yes, it's surprising just how many cron jobs are nagging me about DNS
resolution failures.

--
-Chuck

PS: If this takes longer than 24 hours, can I get someone to host distfiles for
dvd+rw-tools in particular...?  I think that's running maybe 40Mb/day ? of
downloads.