Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:22:45 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tzcode update to 2008e

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:32:16PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Currently the tzcode in the FreeBSD operating system is from 2004.
> > I have updated, on my development machine at home, src/lib/libc/stdtime
> > and src/usr.sbin/zic to tzcode version 2008e. It still works.
> >
> > zic compiles the zonefiles into version 2 format, zdump properly
> > shows the data. The strftime() tests with the date regression tests
> > (bin/127514: [patch] regression tests for date(1)) work fine.
> >
> > The patch can be found at
> > http://www.mavetju.org/~edwin/tzcode2008e-update.txt, it is against
> > current. The MFCs for 7.x and 6.x should be relatively simple.
> >
> > I have done it on i386, so I'm happy to hear how other architectures
> > are going with it. And then, euhm... yeah, what's next?
> >
> > Edwin
>
> What happens when you run old static linked binaries?  Will they
> understand 'version 2 format' zone files?

If I understand the code and its behaviour correct (which I asusme
I did, but feel free to correct me, the relevant data is tzload()
in lib/libc/stdtime/localtime.c :-), the version two data is added
to the end of the zonefile.

A diff of the two shows that this is indeed happening.

I have installed the new zonefile on an 7.0 OS and ran the regression
tests and old zdump on it without problems. So the conclusion for
me is that it is working fine with statically linked libraries.

For 7.0 users, the patches can be found at
http://www.mavetju.org/~edwin/tzcode2008e-update-7.txt.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis