Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:45:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Atle <trollet@skynet.be>
Cc:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sparc64 tinderbox failure

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Atle wrote:

> Jake Burkholder wrote:
>
> > Search for "sun ultra" on ebay; I got mine from paladintech.  Ultra 10s
> > are cheaper but more PC class, my 300mhz does a full buildworld in about
> > 5 hours last time I timed it.  Ultra 2 is probably the best value, but
> > we don't support the builtin scsi controller yet.
>
> This is probably half-way OT, but I ask anyway since it would be OT many
> other places as well.
> I know nothing about SCSI controllers, but believe some have a BIOS, but
> most are used by communicating through .
>
> To someone building a driver for a PCI card, PCI is PCI OpenBoot or not,
> right?
>
> If a driver for an IDE RAID could be made, I think many U10 owners would
> be happy, there is no doubt to me that the IDE is what makes the U10
> PC-like ...
>
> Here are some specific questions that might help me understand in case
> it is impossible or impractical to put a non-Sun SCSI or IDE-RAID card
> in the U10:

Well, to be able to boot from an pci-card the openboot
needs to recognise it, which means that suns only boot
from certain models.
The easiest thing to do would be to boot from ide
and then use the pci card. Because fbsd should
support a lot more.

Although even then you will see some suprises,
aka an u60 not booting with a 3ware inserted
when it has 2 cpus, but working with 1 cpu.

--
Sten Spans

  "What does one do with ones money,
   when there is no more empty rackspace ?"