Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:18:57 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How manu swap ?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:04:54PM +0100, Albert Shih wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I known it's classic question.
>
> Long time ago when I install a FreeBSD x86 32 bits when I have N Go of Ram
> the installer take 2xN Go for the swap partition.
>
> Now I just install two machine with FreeBSD amd64 version with 8Go of Ram
> and FreeBSD installer take 4 Go of swap.
>
> Is a bug in the installer or now FreeBSD don't need 2xRam of swap ?

Hmmmm.   I doubt that it is a "bug" per se.   I wonder if there is
a maximum size for swap compiled in somewhere.   Is your system set
up correctly to actually access all 8GB of ram?

Anyway, you can get by with less than 2Xram.  It depends a lot on
what you are running and how many processes.    I would like to
have more than 1Xram though - at least 1.25xram.   So with 8GB, I would
want to have at least 10GB swap.

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer with something more
specific and helpful.

////jerry