Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:08:36 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, questions@freebsd.org, mike@newell.arlington.va.us
Subject:   Re: Routed supports variable-length netmasks?

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:50:16 -0500 (CDT)
"Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com> wrote:

proot> Variable Length Subnet Masks (VLSM) are advanced routing
proot> features RIP doesn't do them. To do VLSM you need to run OSPF
proot> or (better) EIGRP (which is cisco proprietary).

proot> Gated does do OSPF. But the question is, why do you want to route
proot> with a workstation? If that's all you've got, then that's what you
proot> have to do. But if you have routers, then let routers route and let
proot> the Workstation do work, and use a default route.

I've got a FreeBSD box at my provider's site which I dial into from my
SunOS box at home, to connect my small home-net; no stand-alone
routers.

I've been trying to coerce pppd into installing the default route
using the /etc/ppp/ip-up facility, but although the  pppd runs ip-up
with effective UID root, if ip-up is a script, FreeBSD squashes the
root privs (that, or pppd uses getuid() rather than geteuid(), still
looking). I guess I could use a SUID perl script or some C code but
this seems too simple to justify that...

I did bring gated up on the FreeBSD box, and got a config written
(first time user!) which seems to establish the /28 route when I ppp
in, and tear it down when I disconnect. Still have to do the same on
the SunOS side at home. The docs seem to indicate it does VLSMs fine,
with other RiPv2 routers. Guess I'll find out :-)

Thanks.