Date:      Tue, 25 May 2004 06:08:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: which kinds of AMD work withh FBSD?

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Gary Kline wrote:

> What kinds of the newer AMD processors worth with FreeBSD? It might be
> better long-run to buy a barebones system than mess with upgrading
> 5-yr-old boxen.  I'm thinking of something in the >= 2GHz rangewith
> 512MB and a 60 or 80G drive.  So far I've stuck with Intel since my
> first 8085/8088.  No problems with Unix.  If AMD is a good enough
> clone, it may be time to give it a shot.

The fastest AMD processor I've used with FreeBSD is a "Barton 3000"
Athlon.  Actual clock speed is 2100.  Works fine with FreeBSD 4.9, has
the same difficulties with 5.2.1 as every other computer I've tried.

For upgrading older ATX systems, consider using the MSI KM2M
motherboard.  It sells for about $55, will support Athlons up to 2400
(but only Palomino or Thoroughbred, be careful about that), and will
take either DDR or PC100/PC133 SDRAM (but not both).  It also has
Ethernet, sound, and video built in, all of which work with FreeBSD.