Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:13:26 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TX motherborad

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wed, 11 February 1998 at 11:59:31 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> >
> > I try to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 in a new motherboard whith TX chipset.
>
> You sent this to FreeBSD-isp.  I think -questions is a better address,
> so I'm following up there.

I'm sending this mesage to -isp to replay other mesages, ok?

> > This kernel not found sio0 and sio1. Are there any solution?
>
> There seems to be a problem in this area.  In all probability it's not
> the TX chipset.  Do this:
>
> 1.  Reboot the machine.  When booting, enter the configuration editor
>     and change the flags for sio0 and sio1 to 0x80 (they're normally
>     0x0).  Report the probe messages (you can get them again with
>     dmesg).  You should get something like:
>
> Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio0: probe test 5 failed
> Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio0: probe test 8 failed
> Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio1: probe test 5 failed
> Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio1: probe test 8 failed

I'm now using a ISA card whith 2 serial ports, it's working fine.

When I enable sio2 in 0x3e8 and irq 4 (setup comA is 0x3e8 and irq 4) I
get this:

/kernel: sio2: probe test 1 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 2 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 3 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 4 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 5 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 6 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 7 filed
/kernel: sio2: probe test 8 filed

whith sio0 and sio1 disabled in kernel.

But whithout ISA card I get only "teste 5" and "teste 8" failed.

> 2.  Tell me *exactly* what kind of motherboard you have.  If you can
>     also tell me the super I/O chip part number, that would help.  In
>     case of doubt, tell me the numbers of all the support chips.

My part number is:

Award Modular Bios v4.51PG
TX Pentium System Bios.Ver.TX3-3 9/2/1997

09/01/97-i430TX-ALi5135-2A591SE2C-00

I'm using FreeBSD-Stable. (23/01/1998) (DD/MM/YY)

> Greg

Thanks,
Paulo.

"  ... Overall we've found FreeBSD to excel in performace, stability,
technical support, and of course price. Two years after discovering
FreeBSD, we have yet to find a reason why we switch to anything else"
						-David Filo, Yahoo!