Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 04:23:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        DaleCo Help Desk <daleco@daleco.biz>
Cc:        lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ``root''?

On 2002-11-04 17:29, DaleCo Help Desk <daleco@daleco.biz> wrote:
> [...]

This doesn't explain why the username though.  It certainly is a good
explanation of the filesystem-related meaning.  One minor extra hint
and it's all set.  In older UNIX installations, the HOME directory of
the root user was in fact ``the root of the filesystem'' and not /root
as it is now.  I don't know what came first, the username or the HOME
though.

Giorgos.