Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:03:32 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        williamsl@home.com, Sheepman <sheepman@mindcrash.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pidentd

>>If you're running windows boxen behind your FreeBSD server, then (at least
>>I think) the EASIEST way to solve your problem is to run IRC clients on
>>yoru windows boxen which contain identd servers to themselves.  This
>
>This is correct, but doesn't help the actual problem because internal boxes
>never get those ident requests.
>
>The scenario here is that upon connecting to an irc server, the server asks
>from your BSD server's identd who the heck that user is.  FreeBSD's identd
>server has no way of knowing that this request should be forwarded to a
>NAT'ed windows box X.  So, there will never be an identd request from irc
>server to MIRC to respond to.  The working behaviour could probably be
>achieves so that the identd server on FreeBSD examined NAT state data and
>forwarded requests appropriately (if the server was configured to forward
>them - this could be security risk too).
>
>You could, of course, redirect all identd requests coming on your FreeBSD
>box to the internal windows box, but this would break the BSD box pretty
>badly. (e.g. login timeouts when using FTP) - and there could be only one
>computer in your private LAN that'd use ident.
>
>One solution might be to use an appropriate proxy/bouncer in the FreeBSD
>box and connect to it using IRC clients, but I wouldn't want to do that.

I went back through my notes from earlier this year, and alas discovered
that I never did solve the problem you're describing.  And at the time of
my posting a response to your answer, I guess I wasn't awake enough to
fully absorb the question.

Simply put, I'd like to apologize for posting a useless answer that didn't
help in the slightest :)

Regards,
John