Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:14:51 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        shudo@computer.org, jdp@polstra.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, john@utzweb.net, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 03:20:01PM +0200, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> I did not participated in this thread and won't because of many
> reasons.  First off, I am technician and I don't like bringing
> political steps and moves into technical projects (like FreeBSD or Java
> port).  But this letter contains some points which are not
> correct and I'd like to correct/comment them.  For sure both John and
> Greg will add more, but...

Your work effects a very broad and complicate situation for the BSDs
in general. You must think about how your actions effects the rest
of the group and users, which is the point of a unified project like
this.

> Incorrect.  HotSpot is only part of my work.  But since HotSpot is
> only JVM supported by JDK 1.4.x -- important part of work.  My current
> target is make whole JDK 1.4 working.  Actually it's in good shape already,
> but it require enough testing before releasing "binary" release.

Except for one really big thing, the HotSpot VM has a broken threading
interface to the operating system, which is why folks are still running
into nasty crashes. So, no, it's not close to being in good shape for either
testing or production usage until this gets fixed, neither is 1.3.1, but
it's more stable for other reasons.

> Before starting to pass TCK tests -- we need to have working JDK or no ?
>
> > Or, was the target of the TCK work changed into JDK 1.4.X?
>
> No.  Greg still is working on 1.3.x.  Work for 1.3 and 1.4 is going
> parallely.

Greg is doing what in 1.3.1 ? What specific core stuff is he or anybody
else doing in this group ?

> > As many of you know, 1.4.X for FreeBSD has just started working and
> > still immature and it will need much time to pass the TCK.  See the
>
> My initial work on 1.4 was started back in August 2002.  I don't think
> that "just started" and "6 months ago" are same statements.  Unfortunatelly

Just started relative to the rest of the long term members in this
group. That was probably what was ment by that statement.

> almost three months of this time I was not able to actively work on JDK
> (because of leaving company which provided me hardware for working on it).
> Since middle-Jan I have started to go with FBSDF and three weeks later
> we have released another patchset.  If I will not hit into something
> absolutely crazy with HotSpot -- we'll release next patchset (considered
> as first beta, i.e. for wide testers auditory) before end of winter.
>
> According to TCK -- next week I am going to setup environment for TCK
> tests.  I.e. first pass of TCK for 1.4 tests will be completed next week.
>
> > case of 1.3.1.  FreeBSD's 1.4.X will take more time then 1.3.1.
> > Anyway, it's wasteful to abandon the work on 1.3.1.
>
> I did not read any messages/announces about that.  Did I miss something ?

They can build on preexisting work that's already been done, but... that
doesn't resolve the functional problems in this group at all, regardless if
the TCK is passed or not. You should have some respect for the process as it
has been for over the last 1-2 years I've been involved in this group, same
for other folks not just me.

bill