Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:26:27 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

Wes Peters wrote:

> Donald Wilde wrote:
> >
> > Wes Peters wrote:

> > > Licia, flames only mean that you're making people think.  ;^)
> > >
> > > I don't hate banners as long as they download in a reasonably small time.
> > > This might actually come true, now that USWest and TCI are racing to see
> > > who gets to my house first, with DSL or Cable Modem support...
> >
> > Sure, you're rich.
>
> Hardly.  I pay $28/month for a second phone line now.  @Home is only $35/month
> and DSL $39/month.  The cost just isn't that much greater, even though the
> bandwidth is.  Especially considering my current (56K analong modem) bandwidth
> is shared with 4 adults and 5 children.

The perception on their part is that you'll wire into their advertising
machines and spend money elsewhere.

> > > We had originally discussed an entire web section for branded products,
> > > with click-through to their site(s), to cross-advertise the availability
> > > of FreeBSD branded products.   We would offer this page as a target for
> > > their products sites as well.  I imagine FreeBSD Mall will be very
> > > interested in carrying commercial products that are FreeBSD branded as
> > > well, if suitable financial arrangements can be agreed upon.
> > >
> > This is an area where Christopher and we shall cross-link. Advertising
> > compliance is our business, selling them is his. We _will_ implement the
> > revamped gallery, Wes. The more we support our supporters the more they
> > will _help_ us.
>
> Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to work.  It can't hope to work until
> we get our end propped up.

Thassa my job, Wes. =8-)

> Jason Wells was pretty interested in this, too.  I surpised we haven't
> heard from him; I wonder if he dropped out of -advocacy?  Jason?

Yeah, we lost a _lot_ of good people over the last year. I'm sure there
a lot who will be glad to come back once we start actually doing
something, but time will tell. I'm really glad the major noise factor
removed himself (Gawd, what a tearful exit!!!) from -advocacy. MHO is
that the fact that he couldn't even read and follow the majordomo
unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the page shows there was never
any hope of real code contributions on any level from him, as good as he
was as a wordsmith. I was about to suggest we make this a moderated
list, even just deleting those indestructible threads takes time!
--
Donald Wilde              "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media