Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:59:43 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        'Questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: deleting directories with ??? in name

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:51:37PM -0800, Derrick Ryalls wrote:

> > I've tried lynx, but it did not display the files.
> > I tried emacs, but I was only able to rename two of the
> > directories to other names I could delete; the other two gave
> > me an error of illegal character. I tried 'rm -i -- ?*' but
> > it didn't find the files. I tried 'find . -inum 146 -delete'
> > but while it gave no error message, the files/directories remain.
> >
> > Help!  How do I delete these odd directories?
> > Please CC me in your response as I'm not currently
> > subscribed to the List.
> >

> #mkdir dir?me
> #rmdir dir\?me

That assumes that filenames actually contain questionmarks.
ls(1) by default displays all unprintable characters as question marks.
To see what the filenames actually are use 'ls -aB'.

To delete files with strange names you can always do a 'rm -i *' and
answer 'y' only for the weird files.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson