Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:40:03 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE?

--------------enigA9650F31EA3CE9C6F6A7BFDF

Am 09.09.2013 22:22, schrieb Thomas Mueller:

> So I want to know what MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=3Dyes is supposed to do, and do=
 I set it by
>=20
> env MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=3Dyes portmaster multimedia/vlc=20
> (or whatever other port it applies to)?

Thomas,

It prevents parallel ("make -j 4") build of ports, and your assumption
about how to set it is correct; alternatively, it can be given on the
make command line:

portmaster -mMAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=3Dyes multimedia/vlc.

It's described in Section 6.3.1 Building Ports in Parallel of the
porter's handbook, and apparently a bit out of date, because
MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=3Dyes is now the default, and this feature must explicitly=

be _disabled_.

Can someone from among the doc committers team please reflect the new
default in the Porter's Handbook?  (I was looking at r42618.)

HTH
Matthias