Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:03:14 +0200
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drives >2TB on mpt device

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:36:25 +0100 Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote
about Re: drives >2TB on mpt device:

Hi Bruce,

BC> It looks like a known issue:
BC> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/147572

Hm, I don't know if this is exactly what I'm seeing here (although the
cause may be the same):
I do not use mptutil. The controller is "dumb" (without actual raid
processor), and I intend to use it with zfs. However, I cannot even get
gpart to create a partition larger than 2TB, because mpt comes back with
only 2TB after probing the drive. As this is a problem that already exists
with 1 drive, I cannot use gstripe or zfs to get around this.
But the PR above states that this limitation is already built into mpt, so
my only chance is probably to try a different controller/driver (any
suggestions for a cheap 8port controller to use with zfs?), or to wait
until mpt is updated to support larger drives. Does anyone know if there
is already ongoing effort to do this?

cu
  Gerrit