Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:12:10 +0100
From:      Kresimir Kumericki <kkumer@phy.hr>
To:        James Gill <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Permissions of /usr/ports ?

On (22 Nov 15:38), James Gill wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> ->On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Kresimir Kumericki wrote:
> ->
> ->>   When installing new packages on Unices I usually follow
> ->> the procedure where I do all the preparatory work (fetching,
> ->> applying patches, playing with configuration, building
> ->> the executable, testing) as nonprivileged user and only do "make
> ->> install" as root. (BTW, I do "make -n install" first.)
>
> Why would one configure the ports area to be tinkerable by a nonprivledged
> user?

  Well, the idea is that it is much more secure to compile and
test programs as unprivileged user. This is not much of an
issue with official ports but it is a good security measure
with programs you download from the Net.
  The other thing (even more important if you ask me) is that I just
don't feel comfortable spending too much time in root account.  I have
a different level of concentration while I'm there and I don't want to
lose it by long editing, docs reading etc. root sessions.
(Of course, you don't give write access to /usr/ports to everybody but
only to, say, people who have root password anyway.)