Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:17:41 +0530
From:      "Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
Cc:        "Questions @ FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Athlon motherboard for 5.0?

On Sunday, December 08, 2002 2:01 AM, Cliff L. Biffle wrote

> I'm running 5.0-DP2 on an Asus motherboard with the Apollo
> KT133 chipset.  The
> chipset is notoriously buggy, according to the folks on
> -current, and I've
> been having trouble with the USB and ATA controllers -- though it's
> intermittent and hard to reproduce.
>
> I've stumbled across a new 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird chip,
> which doesn't work
> in my older motherboard.  So, I'm in the market for a mobo.
> It's for a
> workstation, and integrated graphics and sound are not
> desired.  It'd be nice
> if it took PC133 SDRAM, since I have 768MB here, but DDR is okay if
> necessary.  But most importantly, everything on the
> motherboard needs to have
> good support in 5.0.  Support in 4-stable is nice, but hardly
> a requirement.
> If this means sticking with an older, more conservative chipset, and
> sacrificing things like USB 2.0, Firewire, or fast AGP, it
> doesn't bother me
> at all.  I'm not a gamer or a video producer; my motherboard
> is used solely
> to connect my CPU to RAM and cards. :-)
>
> Suggestions?

Don't know about 5.0. I am currently running 4.7-RELEASE on an ASUS
A7V333 with a 850 MHz Athlon TBird. Have had no problems so far with
audio/video/LAN... There were some problems with the chipset when I was
using 4.5-RELEASE, but i think they were fixed in 4.7