Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:19:57 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Hard Drive Error Question

On 08/17/15 08:03, dweimer wrote:
> I have an external SATA drive dock that I use to write backups to, I
> have steadily been getting more parity/CRC errors over the last couple
> of weeks.
>

> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0):
> WRITE_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 61 00 70 e7 53 40 85 00 00 01 00 00
> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): CAM status:
> Uncorrectable parity/CRC error
> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): Retrying command
> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0):
> READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 70 d0 c6 1c 40 84 00 00 00 00 00
> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): CAM status:
> Uncorrectable parity/CRC error
> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): Retrying command
>
> I have ran smart tests on the drives, they report no errors, hers the
> most recent summary line from the currently mounted drive.
>
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00% 595         -
>
> I suspect since the smart tests are showing no errors, that the issue
> is with the drive dock or cabling. I am using a internal/external SATA
> bracket, and not receiving any errors on the internal drives so I
> don't suspect it's a controller issue with the on board SATA III
> controller.
>
> The current drive dock and cables are SATA II, I have since upgraded
> to SATA III 2TB drives since it was purchased along with 1TB SATA II
> drives. So I have been considering purchasing a new SATA III dock and
> cables anyways, but just in case I need to spend the money somewhere
> else to fix this issue I just wanted to see if anyone else had any
> other ideas on what might cause this scenario.

I have heard people on other lists lament eSATA drives/connectors/etc.
*LOUDLY*, as in wailing, moaning, rending-of-garments,
gnashing-of-teeth, etc. $0.02, no more, no less, YMMV, IANAL, & all that
rot. I use external USB-drives myself when I use external drives, which
isn't often, I have had trouble w/ them as well, short drive-life due to
running hot. Good luck :-/ ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."