Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:20:53 +0200
From:      Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emacs splash screen went to textmode only

Quoting Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>:

> Hi,
>

>> 4) Another instance of Emacs on my desktop, this time running in a
>> terminal. The startup screen is yet another one.
>
> In this one, I clearly recognize emacs being run inside an ascii
> terminal. Ascii terminal do not have graphic possibility (nor mousse)
> so it is only normal that there is no graphic splash screen.

Yes, I am fully aware of that. In my original post I wondered if Emacs
for some reason *thinks* it is running in a terminal and thus displays
the terminal mode splash screen. But #2 and #4 are different, thus I
proved myself wrong.

> If it is the same version of emacs that you run on the instances 2 and
> 3, I would look for a X issue. Do you have an environment variable set
> in the xterm? In that xterm, can you launch another xterm?

Well, "set" displays a few screens full of environment variables, so,
yes, of course there are some and they have to be there. But none of
these affected Emacs before upgrading to 23.2.1. BTW launching another
xterm from an xterm works without problems.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka