Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 03:13:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Curry <jakecurry@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   debugging crunched programs

I'm trying to build a custom PicoBSD floppy with some programs that
aren't in any of the 'standard' distributions.  Specifically, I'm
trying to get altq-2.0 working on my PicoBSD router.  [If anyone has
tried this, I'd appreciate hearing the results].

In order to get altq working, I had to add a few new options to my
kernel config file, and added the necessary lines to crunch.conf for
the 'altqd' daemon.  The build went fine, and the system acts normal,
except that altqd segfaults sometime after it has begun initialization
but before it starts doing any real work.  I don't have a clue what the
problem is -- I don't know if it is a problem with some kernel option,
the crunching process, or something completely unrelated.  So, my
questions are:

- How do you normally debug PicoBSD programs?  I'm sure this kind of
thing has happened to people before.  Aside from littering the code
with printf's, are there any viable options?  I have a altqd.core file
which I can take to another system, but what do I do with it?  does it
match up with $DIST/crunch1/crunch1?

- Can I get debugging symbols in any of this?  I'm guessing that would
make it way too big for a floppy, but I'm don't think a core and
debugger would be much help without them.

- If I suspected that the crunch process was incompatible with some
program, how would I go about getting a non-crunched version on there?
 When I grabbed the binary straight off my desktop and ran it on Pico,
it complained about ld_elf.so not existing.  Is there a way I can link
the program to get it to run on PicoBSD?  (yes, I'm sure I could figure
this one out for myself if I weren't so tired :'()

Of course, if anyone has suggestions on what the specific problem is,
I'm quite open to suggestions...

Thanks,
Jake

=====