Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:38:24 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "r_olivarez@juno.com" <r_olivarez@juno.com>
Subject:   Re: New to Free-BSD with questions.

On 10/08/2013 10:58, r_olivarez@juno.com wrote:
> New to Free-BSD. Downloaded a current ISO image and burned it to a DVD. System boots from DVD to command line mode.
> Questions are:
> A.) Is Xwindows, (X11) included on the DVD copy?

That's X, X11, Xorg or the X-Window System. Yeah, kind-of but you've
probably downloaded the base version that expects you to be using it
from the command line unless you compile or add X later.

> B.) If included, what command is used to start it?

startx

> C.) What shell is installed as the standard shell in command line mode?

tcsh - basically the standard Bourne shell unless you specified a
different one when you created the user. You can switch to csh easily
enough (type csh) or you can can add any other shell you like from the
ports collection.
> D.) Is there a site that I can download a complete copy of the documentation for Free-BSD, as one file and not a series/set of separate files?

You probably want to read this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Or if you want the whole thing at once try this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html

However, you'll get a lot of specific information for the man pages that
come with it. There's an install option (new at 9.0?) to include
documentation but I've never made use of it myself.

However, if you're wanting a quick-start version of a FreeBSD with a
graphical shell and looking more like a Windoze desktop try this one:

http://www.pcbsd.org/

Regards, Frank.