Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:16:24 -0600
From:      Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request Validation of my Experience in buildworld

I have recently (following wblock's articles) performed a "buildworld"
on my desktop, and then on a laptop I am just bringing out of the ground.

I was absolutely astounded....

I did put the following in my /etc/make.conf before doing any of the below:

//-----------Begin /etc/make.conf------------

CPUTYPE?=native
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=8
WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/PortsWorkingDir

//-----------End /etc/make.conf-----------

The WRKDIRPREFIX (from a answer I received in this mailing list), is so
that my ports and kernel are built in ram and not to the SSD until they
are complete. I have /usr/obj mounted in tmpfs.....I have 32Gb of
ram....of which I only used 7% of tmpfs during any of the experiences
below......

Experience #1

I think the idea of keeping the OS (buildworld) separate from ports
(portmaster -afdB) is nothing short of brilliance. I made several
mistakes in the process...as I am junior with FreeBSD...and at no time
was my OS taken down. I was able to gracefully recover and continue
until all was rebuilt.

Experience #2

After a buildworld, my system's memory footprint dropped by a good
1/3...It sped up significantly. The I performed a "portmaster -afdB",
and rebuilt all my ports and their dependencies the long way.

Another dramatic drop in resources and another increase in performance.

This experience was had across a desktop, and repeated on a ASUS laptop.

Is this type of improvement typical?

Please advise,

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave