Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:50:00 +0200
From:      Michiel Overtoom <motoom@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE3 --> KDE4

On Friday 07 August 2009 16:12:03 Andrew Gould wrote:

> Is there an increase in usability/benefit to match the increase in
> resource consumption?

As I see it, KDE4 fell in the Vista trap.  I tried KDE4 and was showered with
eye candy effects, some of which couldn't even be disabled.  Also, quite a
few features I used in KDE3 were missing from KDE4.

I never understood the need for transparent windows.  If you're working in a
window you want to concentrate on its contents, not on stuff that's happening
beneath it.  It breaks the flow.  I think it's indicative of the
ritalin-generation of teens who can't concentrate for two minutes and need to
constantly tweet about nonsense.  Geez, I'm getting old ;-)

In my time, we didn't have color screens.  We had machine code on the bare
metal, and a USER PORT to hook up your hardware.

Greetings,

--
"The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across